Rose water obtained from the pink ‘paneer’ roses have huge health and beauty benefits.
When used on the skin, it helps prevent acne, calms irritation, moisturizes and soothes. It also has antibacterial and antioxidant properties.
When used on the eyes, it helps reduces puffiness. With continuous use it can reduce dark circles too.
I looked up various tutorials on the internet and found a really easy-to-do , Do It Yourself [DIY to the experts] method.
It takes about 30-45 minutes for the entire process.
- Ice cubes/blocks
- One large pot; one small pot that fits within the larger one with room to spare
- Lid that tapers.
- Remove all the petals neatly from the rest of the flowers.
- Add petals and generous amount of water to soak the petals in the large pot. Place the small container in the center of the larger one.
- Close this setup with the lid, facing downwards, directly into the small pot.
- Let it simmer for 30 to 45 minutes in low flame.
- The rose water will begin to distill in the small container.Add the ice on top to aid the process.
- After 30 minutes, you can see the colorless rose water collecting in the small container.
- The remaining water left over can also be bottled up and used.
Here is the distilled rose water collected. The pure distilled one is colorless and the fragrance filled the entire house when I made it. The red one was left at the bottom of the large pot along with the petals. This wasn’t as fragrant as the distilled one.
The shelf life of rose water is about one month when refrigerated.
And here is a picture of Innama [my aunt – that’s how I call her] and me; look at our proud faces 😛 LOL